Girls Write Out
Wednesday, September 06, 2006

This weekend we traveled to a nearby state to witness our nephew’s wedding. The ceremony was held in a cabin tucked away in a remote area thick with woods and foliage. Lush greenery sprouted beside a serene pond complete with sprinkling fountain as guests strolled toward the cabin. A short distance from there sat a bench beneath a canopy of dripping vines and that’s where our daughter shot this picture of two of our granddaughters. Okay, I’ll admit our daughter added wings to the photo, but at this moment, they could have donned halos. :-)

We laughed and talked the night away with family while nestled in that cabin beneath a dusky sky and rain droplets (yes, it was raining, but we hardly noticed). We reminisced about days gone by and as I looked around the room at the familiar faces, the kids all grown up, the parents now into midlife, and grandparents into their senior years, I was struck once again with the brevity of life.

Believe it or not, your world will not always be peanut butter/jelly sandwiches and sticky kisses. Leather briefcases will replace brown lunch bags. Moments to sit and watch a frog leap across the sidewalk will vanish. Before you can finish the jar of peanut butter, your children will morph into adults.

Though I was convinced our kids would remain toddlers forever, I assure you, they did grow up. Fast. Do they remember the loads of laundry I did or the hours I labored over the bathroom—okay, maybe not hours, but certainly minutes. Probably not. Do they remember when I stopped to watch them ride a bike, listen to them tell a story, or sat down with them over popsicles? Yeah.

So, just a friendly reminder to take some time with those you love today. It's over all too soon. Go ahead, enjoy the journey!
Diann Hunt  
posted at 8:16 AM  
  Comments (14)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
14 Comments:
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks for sharing that...angelic picture! Just beautiful.

You are so right. Time flies. Enjoy your children.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Thanks, Kristy!

I'm following my own advice. My daughter and I are going shopping tomorrow afternoon. I have to give her notice because she homeschools.

Whoohooo!! Have I mentioned that I love the fall weather? ;-)

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Seems like just yesterday my kids were that age. Boy, the time just flies!

I love fall weather too, Di, but I hate that winter follows it! And I don't want to hear that you're listening to Christmas music already, you freak! Said lovingly of course. LOL

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

ROTFLOL, Colleen!!! I was thinking just the other day, it won't be long until I can pull out my Christmas CD's!!! I can hardly wait!! :-)

Yes, I am a freak, but you have to love me. It's a commandment. ;-)

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

GROAN, Di! Somehow I knew this. LOL The mere thought makes me want to run screaming naked through the house. Okay maybe that's a visual you didn't need but it makes me CRAZY that you listen to Christmas music so early! LOL

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Y'all are terrible to Di! I'm with her - I LOVE Christmas CDs. I lost my favorite Christmas record when the stereos were replaced with CD players. I've bought so many CDs trying to replace it. It was Fred Waring and the Pensylvanians. Sigh ... it brought back the nostalgic Christmases of my childhood. Daddy would put it on the Hi-Fi (yeah, in the days before stereos) before we could come into the living room to see what Santa had brought!

BTW, Di, I hope you got an 8x10 at least of that shot of the girls. I clicked on it and saw the large one. Way too precious!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Ane! I'm so disappointed to hear you're another warped one. I'll pray for you, you poor child.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

I have the "Mr Grinch" song as my husband's ringtone ... he rivals Colleen, but 10x's worse!! He doesn't want Christmas music played period. He's been known to walk in the house home from work go straight to the cd player and hit the off button. :)

BRING ON BING CROSBY!!!
3 more months, Diann.

And, Autumn is just barely starting to peek here. It's so exciting.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh I love Christmas music! But not until after Thanksgiving! It drives me crazy, this moving up of the holiday and blurring the lines. LOL

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Okay, Diann, today was a tough Mommy day. I was supermom. I baked cookies, I played with him, I invited his friends over for a play date and do you know what??? He was mean to me. He had a seven- year-old moment where my angel turned into a devil child and I sent him to bed early, before I took his head off. And then I curled up on the couch and wanted to cry me a pity party!

Then you have to go be all sentimental and make me want to go wake him up to love on him--sigh! Motherhood...Sheesh!

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Yes, Christmas RULES!!! Whoohooo, other kindred spirits!!!

Sabrina, my heart squished when I read your post. I remember those Mommy moments well. It was my practice that after the kids went to bed I would ask the Lord to help them remember anything I did right and help them forget everything I did wrong. ;-)

They will have those moments, and sometimes we Moms have to do the tough thing. Doesn't make you a bad Mom, it makes you a caring one.

Tomorrow will be a better day. :-)

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Cara Putman said...

Thanks, Diann. I needed to read that. I'm wrestling with a decision that will affect the mommy time and this helped. Thanks.

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man I don't even have kids yet and I'm getting all nostalgic..lol. You're right though.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Heather Ivester said...

Hi Diann,
I reviewed RV There Yet? in this month's Christian Women Online Book Buzz:
www.christianwomenonline.net

I'm ready for an RV trip now -- with plenty of chocolate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz