Girls Write Out
Tuesday, September 02, 2008

NAKED TRUTH
I've been in Arizona again helping our Baby Girl get her new See Spot Clean facility ready. When we found out what she was doing, we were quick to offer help. And we were glad to spend the time with her. But the week of intense physical labor taught me much:

1. The floor is much further away at 56 than it was ten years ago. How did that happen? I spent much of the week on my hands and knees laying and grouting tile. Rather than get up and walk somewhere, I scooted. That extra effort to get up just wasn't worth it.

2. Dark brown grout can stain your nails irreparably. Even now, I can't seem to get the stain out around my nails. I've tried bleach and a toothbrush even. If I weren't so embarrassed by them, I'd get a manicure, but I can see the tech slipping out the back door the minute she sees my hands. Any tips?

3. Coffee fixes any pain. Kara and I stumbled through the door every night moaning, "Coffee," and it was much more fun to sip a cuppa together. If Mark was home, he always had it ready too.

4. Yes, you really can be too tired to sleep. Some nights we were all too tired even to sleep. Um, make that MOST nights. All four of us desperately needing sleep and aching too much to fall into the sweet arms of slumber.

5. My husband is superman. The things he got done. . . But even superman is getting older. When did it happen? We don't FEEL any older, but we sure learned we are. LOL

Our daughter is 33 now. Just yesterday I was 33. Watching her nimbly kneel and work, I was struck by how fluid time really is. It's run through my fingers before I realized it was seeping away. In a blink of an eye I'll be another 20 years older. It made me want to treasure every minute and savor every experience with the kids, our parents, our coming granddaughter. I want my legacy to be one of love and that my kids and grandkids will know how much I loved them.

Now about these fingernails. . . Someone help!
Colleen Coble  
posted at 4:04 PM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

About the fingernails, I can't help you there. I've never had good nails. Maybe you should get some fake ones. :-)

I agree with you about the time thing. Every day is a gift. So glad you were able to spend some time with Kara. No doubt she will never forget your labor of love.

Can't wait for Grandbaby Coble's arrival!!!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger hotcoffeenow said...

lemon juice? hydrogen peroxide?
btw, I had to laugh about the scooting - I made that discovery this summer, lol. And I'm only 40-uh, something....

cheryl

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Good suggestions, Cheryl, I'll try them!

You should see the pants I scooted in. LOL That grout is firmly ground in. Washing didn't touch it.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Megan DiMaria said...

You've got your priorities right, Colleen!

A prisoner of hope,
Megan

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

About the fingernails...next time wear gloves. Laughing out loud at the visual of you scooting across the floor!
I agree...too tired to sleep is possible. Happened to me last week while we were moving in and again in the middle of the night this week. Just laying there yawning and staring into the dark. Awful. BUT we are moved in and finally back at home in PA! God is so good!!

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Malia Spencer said...

Hey scooting is a great way to get around, it's how I get up and down the steep stairs of our house. I'm naturally klutzy, so I'm not about to attempt those stairs on crutches! At least I've figured out how to get the crutches up and down with me. It's a small thing, but when you need almost everything done for you, it's huge.

Five weeks on crutches and counting. Who knows how much longer it will be...

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I did put on gloves, Suzanne, but a little too late. Sigh.

Malia, STILL on crutches? I feel for you. Been there, done that! Only mine were from broken bones both times. Talk about klutzy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz