Girls Write Out
Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What's your soul purpose?

I've been reading this financial book called, "Killing Sacred Cows". It turns out I've been doing it right financially all along. In the book, he says, "Don't say I can't afford it. Ask how can I afford it?" And money has no intrinsic value. Only people have intrinsic value.

Okay, I totally do that! Totally have believed that all along! I consciously made the choice at thirteen working at Round Table Pizza that the Calvin Klein jeans were not the best use of money, but the Jordache were cute without breaking the bank. If I can't SEE the difference in quality, I will never pay for it. My jeans are now Joe's and quite a bit more than those original Calvin Kleins were, but you know, my bum ain't what it was then, either. So that has to be accounted for in the equation. But unlike everyone around me, I will never drive a Mercedes over a Toyota, because I truly don't see the difference. And I love cars!

What's my soul purpose? I'm still working it out, but I know it involves having the brain of a radio scanner and putting the pieces together somehow. I am not afraid to fail. I want to try and if I have to go home with my tail between my legs, whatever. I tried. As the great master once said, "Do or do not. There is no try." (Yoda) But I have this huge need to set things right in the world when I see someone in pain.

I want others to live without fear! True story: I was backing up the other day in the school parking lot and this woman in a Mercedes comes up behind me so I can't continue backing up. Now, this is stupid for two reasons. One, it's me and I think you have issues for driving a Mercedes anyway, so don't try me woman! But two, I cannot imagine why someone would do such a thing. What is so miserable in her life that she doesn't have time to just be decent. It's not like she's never going to see me again (and incidentally, she gave me a dirty look when I opened the door for her son on parking lot duty -- oh this woman needs my help.) It wasn't just that she didn't let me go first, but she actually sped up while I backed out? Do you know anyone like this? They're everywhere and they are life-sucking vampires.

God made me a tough cookie and I know one of my soul purposes is to fight for the weak. I do that in writing, but I don't necessarily think writing is my soul purpose. Everyday in the Silicon Valley, I meet someone who thinks they are entitled to treat others poorly. And by the way, I don't care what country you're from -- here you open a door for a woman. Are we clear? Every day is an opportunity to meet someone and have an impact. Growing up with a retarded brother, I know full well appearance means squat. I saw Stanford-educated, well-dressed business men treat him like vermin, while I saw leather-clad bikers treat him with dignity and respect. So if I had to focus my soul purpose, it would be to try and show people a mirror, so they can get in touch with who they really are. As Jesus asked, "Do you want to be healed?"

How many of us really do when the answer is painful?

Who are you, really? If God looked into your soul right now, what would he see? What did He create you to do? Anyone know their soul purpose so they can put it into words?
Kristin  
posted at 1:13 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

I'm not quite sure I understand soul purpose, but I know I"m resilient. I've had some tough knocks in life, but I refused to let them define me. Through God's grace, I've learned to step outside of my comfort zone and have received an abundance of blessings in doing so. I have a heart for children and women who feel invisible.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

I have been searching and wondering what my purpose is for years-any kind of purpose! I have NO clue. I have prayed and watched to no end to find out what it is. I have decided I just don't have one. Except to be a mom and wife. Maybe that is enough?

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Andrea, I totally think that's enough. I guess a better way to have put it, is how do you add value to the world? How do you make it a better place? If being a wife and mother isn't just that, I don't know what it. Think about whose meant the most in your life, for me it's my grandma and that was her legacy!

Lisa, the world needs those weebles, you go girl!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Oh man, Kristin, I LOVE this post! It is the cry of my heart to be more like Jesus and to encourage others to have joy in their journey. Yes, I fall way short most of the time, but it's my daily goal--my purpose--my joy--to make a difference even in little ways.

Thank you for the reminder!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

What a great post, K! My soul purpose is to leave behind the kind of legacy my Grandma did. One of unconditional love that mirrors God to my kids.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

My purpose, for now, is to encourage my students to grow in grace and truth; I want them to be strong in character and to really know and love God. I try to teach them by example (and fail every day). Still, it's good for them to see how to fail...and how to persevere nevertheless. :)

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

I'm a 20 year old college senior majoring in English and psychology. Purpose is something I'm definitely trying to find, because God has already proven and confirmed that it's not teaching!

For now, I think it is just to learn as much as I can in life and from Him. For the future, I think it is to impact other people in such a way that they never see things the same way again.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

I was coming out of an aisle of Target one day and a woman coming across in front of me stopped in front of me to scan the aisle in the other direction. She didn't see me. I smiled and said, "Excuse me." She gave me the dirtiest look and chewed me out. I politely said, "I think you have an anger problem." As if I never lose my temper, but, really. Dh later made a guess about which part of the country she came from, LOL I'll let readers contemplate that, if they think it's worth it.

My purpose? Well, not to make people mad in Target, that's for sure. But, hmm, maybe to pray for those who do. My mother advocated that old theme to be kind to people, you never know what pain is in their heart. And when she said "Bless her heart," she meant it. LOL

Hey, my word verification today is ysowr. Almost sounds like Yowser! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz