Girls Write Out
Wednesday, September 03, 2008


Seriously, what is up with the yellow journalism? When I was in journalism, we were taught to print the facts. Lately, the news seems to be like one big smear job on Palin -- but remember when it was poor Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter? And you know, if they went after the other side for the same things, that would be one thing. But I am so very tired of people calling Republicans Nazis or Hitler. While these same journalists cover up how Obama got his mansion, what his church preaches, etc. At least go after HIM, not his pregnant 17 year old daughter, not Cheney's lesbian daughter. I'll bet Cheney loves his daughter unconditionally, that doesn't mean they agree on everything. But his daughter was running for nothing, so like Palin's daughter, the journalists should find the real stories about the candidates. What happened to truth? Why does journalism all sound like the National Enquirer lately? You want to talk truth? Why is Brad Pitt lauded as a greenie when he uses more jet fuel and leaves a bigger carbon footprint than probably all of you reading this blog and me put together. But see, we only see what the journalists want us to see. What supports their viewpoint. And that is yellow journalism.

Do you want to know why newspapers are dying as a medium? It's not just because of the ease of the Internet, it's because we don't want your opinion crammed down our throats. We're actually smart enough to decide for ourselves.

Have you noticed there's no disagreeing anymore? We're all supposed to have the same opinion (theirs) or we're lauded as Nazis and/or ignorant. You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm entitled to mine, and just because I disagree with you, that does not make me Hitler. What is up with the floating of that name? My own father called me Neville Chamberlain this weekend. LOL (But I called him a communist and told him to try China.) Seriously though, I love my father -- even though I disagree with practically everything he thinks politically.

I don't think he's ignorant. I understand why he thinks the government can fix things. He's from two very successful generations of union plumbers/carpenters. The union was good to him and his loyalty lies there. He wants everyone to have the same opportunities. I, on the other hand, have an $18,000 annual house tax bill and a house that's falling apart, and no money left to fix it. The idea of handing over more money to the government makes me want to hurl.

The only reason people get angry and hateful when people disagree with them is because they want to control people's thoughts. They don't give them the proper respect they deserve, as a person with their own mind. It's McCarthyism all over again, only now you're out of Hollywood if you're a Republican or driving a Hummer. But if you want to take your private jet to Cannes and the Sundance festival, we'll give you a free pass for that -- and a bag full of WAG too!

So if you're a liberal and you're reading this. I respect you. I think you're wrong, but I still respect your right to your belief system. I just can't respect the unequal treatment given to Sarah Palin vs. Obama. If you don't believe me, check out these recent "Us" covers.

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/09/02/pds-alert-us-magazines-partisan-hit-job/
Kristin  
posted at 11:12 PM  
  Comments (21)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
21 Comments:
At 12:18 AM, Blogger hotcoffeenow said...

I'm saluting you with my coffee cup - well, it doesn't have any coffee in it because it's midnight and it's been sitting here empty on my desk all day long, but I'm still saluting. :)

cheryl

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You go girl! :)

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Deborah said...

yay kristin! you said everything i would say if i wasn't so scared about speaking about politics. sarah palin was wonderful at the RNC tonight.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

Can you hear my applause? That was dead on!

It makes me sick that the media can't find anything wrong with Sarah Palin, so they have to attack her poor, sweet kids. Yes, her 17-yr-old daughter is pregnant. Yes, she made a life-changing mistake. Does that make Sarah Palin a bad mother or an unavailable mother or a too-busy mother? NO! It means her daughter was caught up in the throes of... and made a mistake. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES. Will Bristol's pregnancy affect Sarah's ability to be VP? Nope. Does it change her executive record? Nope. Did she lie or omit the truth about her daughter? NOPE!

You go, Kristin. Thanks for saying what's on all of our minds.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Deena Peterson said...

I couldn't help it...I blogged you:-) @ A Peek At My Bookshelf....

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Georgiana Daniels said...

Here, here! I'm at political odds with my parents too. LOL, try China. Thankfully my parents and I have agreed to disagree and there are no more political discussions at the Sunday dinner table, though if it does come up I'm using your line =)

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Well said, Kristin! I agree. The bias is more and more blatant.

Worse. . . the feminist. What? Sarah should stay at home with her family? Are they serious?

A few years ago the fems were complaining because women were leaving the work force for their families and that darn glass ceiling still hung over them.

Now, a woman has risen to the possible Veep of the U.S. and they want her to "stay at home" and "be responsible for your family."

It's madness.

Rachel :)

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Kayla said...

Hear, hear! After Perry Stone ratted out Reverend Wright's connections with Louis Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam, I wanted to run shrieking. If people with connections to Hamas want a certain candidate to win, I'm voting the other way.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Hats off to you, Kristin. Well said! Hubby and I have been watching the coverage, and absolutely no TV news network presents *both* sides adequately except Fox News. "Fair and Balanced" reporting. Amen!

Every other network is biased against the McCain-Palin team and is spouting off at the mouth listing offenses on her side, but not Obama's or Biden's. There's clearly no equality. Plus, they're accusing her of elitist remarks, her divisive and partisan-sounding speech and her attack on the media.

Elitist? Excuse me? Even my local paper used that word when referring to the double-speak accusation by Obama talking one way in one instance and changing his tune in another. That's not "elitist," it's hypocrisy. These media folks need to pick up a thesaurus. :)

Bottom line. They're attacking Sarah because they're scared. The poses a true threat to their plans, and they're worried they won't win unless they utilize yellow journalism to hopefully sway readers/viewers' opinions.

Although I feel it's decreased, I still believe in Americans' abilities to think for themselves. And while I personally am not sold on McCain, I'll vote for him because of Palin. :)

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Georgiana, don't use the line if your parents are nice people. Mine are like me. My dad and I live for the conflict. It was his birthday present. But he knows he'll never change my mind and vice versa, but we have fun discussing it.

It's the Italian in us, to call each other names and laugh about it. LOL I know the man would take a a bullet for me, isn't that more important than our political views?

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Latest report for more in Palin's favor:

(http://www.redstate.com/diaries/redstate/2008/sep/04/breaking-sarah-palin-winged-her-speech-bec/)

Halfway through Sarah Palin's speech tonight at the RNC, people following the speech noticed she was deviating from the prepared text.

According to sources close to the McCain campaign, the teleprompter continued scrolling during applause breaks. As a result, half way through the speech, the speech had scrolled significantly from where Governor Palin was in the speech.

Unfazed, Governor Palin continued, from memory, to deliver her speech without the teleprompter cued to the appropriate point in her speech.

Contrast this to Barack Obama who, when last his teleprompter malfunctioned, was left stuttering before a crowd unable to advance his speech until the problem was resolved.

Sarah Palin. Winner.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I heard Bush is bad with the teleprompter too. Hail women who can do two things at once and when something changes, fix it!!! Oh my, I am getting more feminist as I go along in life. LOL

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Heather Diane Tipton said...

hear, hear!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Krista Phillips said...

Ohhhhhhh. I love politics. Ain't it grand?? I was almost jumping up and down on my couch last night. I was so fired up I even stayed up and watched the roll call of the states (which was pretty darn boring, but I was worked up and didn't care...)

Yeah for Sarah!!

I agree that the media is rediculously biased. It angers me so much. During the DNC, the websites were hailing the stories of Obama, all POSITIVE stories, and that is all I saw for days.

Now... It almost feels like its being ignored, except for her pregnant 17 year old. I mean, give the poor kid a break. Can you imagine being paraded around by the media to the WHOLE USA soon after you make a stupid mistakes? Poor girl...

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Booklogged said...

Well said! Why can't we stick to the person running for office, what they've accomplished in other offices, what they've done as leaders, what their stance is and what they plan to do about real situations?

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger sunnymum said...

Agreed! I do hope more people will wake up and realize where the truth is. If I wanted gossip, I'd read the Enquirer!

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

Oh, this woman in Texas feels a cool wind blowing in tonight from northern California. What fresh, fresh air of truth. Yeahhh!

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Alison Bryant said...

Like Lynette said, what a fresh air of truth!

This normally peace-loving, non-confrontational woman is finding herself speaking out during this election...I think somewhat out of (dare I say it?) spite and indignation for same the things you described, Kristin! It's nice to find a voice. Kudos, sister. Thanks for articulating this. Rock on!

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Well, Lynette, I'm sorry to tell you from here, there's not much more where that came from. I don't care that the media believes what it does, only that it thinks it's not biased.

Oh I got my copy of "Us" which I am TOTALLY canceling. Three pages into it, after that horrific cover of the "scandal" where there is none, there is a two page spread of the beautiful Mrs. Obama and her lovely fashion sense. And you know, she might be beautiful, she might be brilliant, but do we really need her to be a fashion source? Can we get to the actual MESSAGE here?

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

"Yellow journalism" is right. We rarely watch anything but Fox. I did catch Charlie Gibson lording it over Sarah and looking like an arrogant judge.

The Lamestream Press is so dead, if they only knew it. They remind me of the Hokey Pokey man at his funeral. They put the right leg in, he puts the right leg out and he shakes it all about.

(Sorry, I got carried away.)

I'm praying that they will try to dig up dirt on Sarah, read all about her theology, and get saved! Yes, please, Lord!

Back to my WIP.

Belated Birthday Blessings!

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Thanks Margo! There was a video on yesterday where Obama's camp was making fun of McCain for not knowing how to use a computer, and apparently he has problems with his hands from being a POW. Ouch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz