Girls Write Out
Thursday, January 01, 2009

Yesterday was a red letter day. My new book Sweetwater Gap has just released and I got three positive reader letters, two raving reviews, one radio interview request and a partridge in a pear tree.

"Yay, they like my book!" a sane person might say to themselves. But, I'm a writer, one of those creative types, and hence, not sane at all. And certainly not secure. No, my first thought is this. "How can my next book possibly live up to the last one? My readers are going to hate my next one. They're going to hate me. Hate mail will flow in and my sales will swirl slowly down the toilet. I'm doomed!"

Fear shimmies through me like panty hose up a fat leg. See, my writing already blows. I can't even write a decent similie. My next book is already written, on the editor's desk. It's too late now.

I should be used to this Journey of Insecurity. It began the moment I first set pencil to paper 12 years ago and wrote Chapter One. "This is awful. No one will publish this." Then, after The Call. "Oh, crap, people are going to read this. My friends and family will read this. Shoot me now." After my first longer book is published. "Why did I think I could do this?" When I get my sales numbers. "I'll never be published again." And yes, even when sales are looking up and readers like the book. "It was a fluke. I can't do it again. My readers will surely be disappointed with my next one."

If I were cocooned in my misery, I might think it was just me. But thankfully, the internet opened my world to writer's communities where I hear other writers bemoaning the same things. So, if you're a struggling writer (is there any other kind?) and you find yourself somewhere on that Journey of Insecurity, remember you're not alone. There's another insecure writer as close as your keyboard.




Denise Hunter  
posted at 10:19 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Denise, no truer post was ever written. As you know, I've lamented the exact same thoughts. Fraud. Can't do it again. What made me think I could do this? I don't know what I'm doing.

Praise the Lord for great editors!

I'm not surprise Sweetwater Gap has great reviews! I'm so excited for you and this book.

May the sales number go through the roof! And be enough to pay for a new roof, you know, if needed. ;)

Rachel

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh gosh, that is so true, D! I don't think we ever outgrow that insecurity. But you're a great writer and every book is better!

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I think it is even worse when you have one that isn't as good, and you have to hear about it. Then, the insecurity grows!! It's a hard business, no question. That picture looks like one of your covers!

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

My fabulous! editor is going through my latest book with me line by line. First experience with this, and while I'm learning a lot, every deleted comma makes me cringe ;0

Makes us hang onto the Lord ever so tightly though doesn't it.

I 2nd Rachel's sales number prayer for you :)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Michelle V said...

Ok, y'all, now I'm going to feel awful every time I tell you I loved one of your books! ;-) As a fan of all 4 of you (and you too Rachel Hauck), I can tell you that I have been making a habit of praying for whatever author I am currently reading (and my nose is always in a book)! So, I'm praying for you!

Blessings
Michelle

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Rachel Holliday said...

I just finished Sweetwater Gap this weekend, and I loved it! My mom did too. Go ahead and increase your positive reader feedback by two. :)
From a reader standpoint, I really hate that you, Colleen, Kristin, and Rachel feel any insecurity because I am just amazed by the way God has gifted all of you to share your stories. I know I have been blessed by each one.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Aw, you girls are so sweet to us!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I've spent a year wallowing in my insecurities--and as I gear up to writing again, I'm constantly fighting it off. So far, it's winning. :-)

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Michelle V - that is a TOTALLY awesome idea! I may have to steal it!

Denise - I could have picked to review Sweetwater Gap, but due to time constraints I didn't (I'm limiting how many books a month I sign up to review now, I was getting overwhelmed).

Well, I'm kicking myself now because I finally got around to reading The Conveniant Groom (I picked it up at the ACFW conference) after I'd already declined the book (I hadn't read any of your books at that point, just your blog posts).

I absolutely adored The Conveniant Groom. As I told my best friend the other day when we were in the bookstore, its in the wrong section - your book is one of those that should be over in general fiction because it can plant seeds in so many people, and no one can say its preachy at all. If I remember right the only time a church is mentioned is during the wedding scenes. If you are a Christian, you get the subplot, and if not then it plants seeds of what a true romance is all about. *sigh*

Anyway, I hope to read Sweetwater Gap at some point, but I know it will be a loooong while before I can get to it. Know that you ARE a wonderful writer and I just wish I had more time on my hands (oh wait the only way that would happen is if I wasn't working....err, so I just wish I had more VACATION TIME.. LOL) to read more.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

You girls are too kind. Thanks for your encouragement.

And Michelle, that is a fabulous idea!Thanks for doing it and giving the rest of us the idea to do it too.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Kimberley Woodhouse said...

What an incredible post. (And I personally love the panty-hose on the fat leg comment.)

You all are an enormous encouragement to everyone who writes. Today of all days, I needed to read that.

Thank you!
Kim
www.kimberleywoodhouse.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz