Girls Write Out
Sunday, August 30, 2009

It's time to come clean. I'm obsessed. 

Months ago Jennifer Deshler, Thomas Nelson marketing guru, asked me to open a Facebook account. Those of you who know me know I'm, uh, not exactly technologically savvy.

But I felt my way through the profile deal, started friending people and getting friended. Before I knew it, I had a few hundred friends and way too many ismiles, myhearts, farmville gifts, and yarn requests (???). I figured out how to manage the applications and taper down the status messages to just those people I really know. 

I began checking FaceBook so much I changed my default home page to my FB profile and now happily check on my friends and family throughout he day and post my own status as well.

Then Jennifer had another suggestion: "Start a group for your readers, Denise," she says to me.

I give this some thought. A Group would be a direct connection to my readers, give me a place to give away books, offer sneak peeks at covers, host a book club chat. I can even give my group a sneak peek at an upcoming book by posting a chapter or two before its release, just for them. The idea grew on me and the timing is good: I'm waiting for my edits, so I have two weeks to get this going--and with my lack of technological prowess I know it'll take that long.

So I took the plunge. I started a group, Denise Hunter Readers Circle, and I'm having so much fun! A direct connection with readers at my fingertips--no matter how far away they live--what a concept. 

So, yes, Reluctant FaceBooker Becomes Obsessed Fan, and judging by all the status-updating going on, I don't think I'm the only one. I just hope I can pull myself away long enough to, uh, write a book or two.  

PS If you're interested in joining the Readers Circle, follow the link then click on "Join this Group": http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124248046980
Denise Hunter  
posted at 9:16 PM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 11:26 PM, Blogger The Farmer's Wife said...

I tried FB, for about 48 hours...it drove me crazy, like passing notes in high school English class. I had guilt over not wanting to reject anyone as a friend, and it seemed really superficial. BUT, I know lots of people love it, and my husband is one of them. And I wish I could do it! I've almost re-signed up about 3 times!

I'm glad you're having so much fun with it, and perhaps it could be a premisis for a book, of some kind. I once did a round-robin journal with some friends, and it was like a snailmail facebook. Or, with some friends, it seemed like it got lost on the Pony Express on it's way back to Montana....

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

I ,too, am trying out FB. Planning a farm, keeping the plants alive, ignoring those I don't know who "ivite" me, getting rid of messages without erasing the person! I am not going to give up..just need more of a learning curve.

Thanks so much for opening up this page. I love your books and look forward to those to come.

I much preferred a chatroom where people could be on all at once. Conversations flowed back and forth and I didn't have to wait a day or so for a response :)

Again, thanks for all your work to make this site possible.

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I'm like you. A reluctant FB user, turned addict. I haven't made it my default homepage though! LOL!! :)

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Tonya Kappes said...

I am not computer savvy either, but I was advised to get a FB account. It has been a huge part of networking for me. I use my married/writing name so it really is about my writing. I post a couple of pictures b/c I want to connect with my readers. Recently a few people I went to high school with found me-I don't live in my hometown (just a fast hello, how are you and I won't see/hear from them for another 20 years).
I don't allow all the applications. It overwhelms me and would take up too much of my time.
I am happy to see you there!!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I think the readers circle thing is awesome, Denise! I'm enjoying being a part of your group--it's fun, informative, all that!

Good for you for taking the plunge!

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

It's a great way to keep in touch with people, but those applications can get way out of hand!

I share your frustration, Cheri and Tonya. I wish I had a techno kind of brain, but we'll eventually figure it all out.

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love Facebook. It has been such a fun way to reconnect with high school and college friends that I may never get to see in person again. I even have "friended" former students that are now all grown up. But I have steered clear of all the extra applications so I can actually get work done during the day. I'll check out your new page today!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I love Facebook, but it's always been my connection to my readers, not to actual family or anything. It's only been in the last few months my kids even got on Facebook. LOL I love hearing from readers about their lives and interacting with them. Good for you, D!!!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

I love the fact that I can keep in touch with so many people--I've reconnected with classmates and family, but also those who are interested in reading/books. It's been great for me, too, Denise.

I also like that I can click "like" on people's status lines, which is a nice affirmation. I've gotten quite a few people connected to authors there--authors they were not aware existed.

Facebook is great--and my boys are complaining because I've peeked into their lives, too. LOL.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

I signed up with Facebook after losing two friends from the blogging world and if I still wanted to communication this was the only way.

I do like it now, and I am doing my best not to add too many friends. Or it will drive me insane.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz