Girls Write Out
Monday, August 24, 2009

What is that sound?  It's familiar and yet I can't quite place it. I turn my head to the side and go still, listening. What is it--could it be--no, it's not possible. Not here, not in this house.

I cup my hand over my ear and listen closely and a moment later a slow delicious smile forms on my lips. Yes, it is. It really is. 

Silence. 

And it has never sounded so good. My house, turned upside down and inside out for three solid months is indeed . . . quiet. The kind of quiet that is loud in its sheer rarity. 

Quiet for my Bible study.
Quiet for my writing.
Quiet for my phone conversations.
Quiet for my creative thought process.

I've done it. I have survived a summer filled with baseball games, driver's ed., vacation, empty cups everywhere, I'm booorreed!s, TV squabbles, weekend company, impromptu wrestling matches, bike riding injuries, and X-box sound effects humming in the background.

Truth be told I wouldn't trade summer for the world and, in fact, each one slips by faster than the one before. But I will never be immune to the wonder of silence on that first day back to school.

Labels: ,

Denise Hunter  
posted at 6:00 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Tonya Kappes said...

I know the feeling! My four boys (16-10) all went back to school last week and I couldn't believe how silent it was. I never have just my four, I usually have at least 10 boys running around my house, up and down three flights of stairs. I have gotten more reading and writing done in the last week compared to all summer.
I love them home and excited when May hits, but by mid-July they are ready to hit the books and I am ready for a clean house and a little more of a schedule!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Enjoy the quiet, D! Just remember, before you can blink, it will be all too quiet. (Unless you get an indoor dog.) :-)

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Ah, how wonderful, D! Enjoy!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Me, too, Denise. But it's time to turn on the vacuum! :-)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Yes, Tonya and Diann, I do enjoy the summer with the boys. I also enjoy the quiet of the school year. :-)

Beverly, at least the clean will last all day! Imagine!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

Oh, I can't stand the sound of the Xbox! Drives me crazy. Thank goodness for my bedroom or writing nook. :-)

With my in-home childcare program, it's *never* quiet here. When I'm done at 4:30, the noise level drops at our house, so we relish it. Soon our oldest will be off to college, so our younger son will have no one to fight with. When he leaves the sounds I'll miss most are "love you, mom" and the Zelda theme song that plays when he gets a text message. It's become part of him.

Enjoy your serenity!! I'm jealous. :)

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Denise,

Hey, you're RIGHT!!! That kind of makes my day! Thanks!!!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Silence is probably one of life's greatest gifts. Enjoy!

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

My children are grown, one raising a wonderful family, the other fellowshiping with Jesus at the banquet table. The grandkids live far away, the house is too quiet.

I remember the activities of summer, the sadness when they went to school the first day. Yet, life brings changes and Jesus gives me strength.

Thanks so much for sharing your 'end of the summer' stories. What memories they bring back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz