Girls Write Out
Friday, May 06, 2011
I went house hunting today. Wow. We've lived in the same place for so many years, and all of a sudden we want to move. Mel looked at the sales sheets I collected and wants to go check them out tomorrow. Not sure we will, but we want to.

I need a pool. It's pretty much the best therapy for injured spines, and I found one house with a pool in all my hunting. Unfortunately, it's an outdoor pool, so it wouldn't work for me in winter. And now style is in question. I want something besides the ranch style houses I've lived in most of my life. I want something with more open space, lighter, airier atmosphere, something different, near others who are like me and where I'll feel safe when Mel works at nights. That may be hypocritical for someone writing a series about helping the homeless, but one must be protected as well as kind. Sorry, I'm just going to be hard-nosed about that.

And yet who am I to spend my writing time looking for a new--to me--house when so many others have nothing? Here in our community, we have few homeless, and are shocked when we go to the big city and see so many. Last week, Mel and I saw a homeless man with a shopping cart and a husky dog. That was a special gift for him. That man and his dog will be in a book soon in our series entitled Jolly Mill Secrets, romantic suspense with medical characters--our brand.

I hope my efforts to bring the plight of the homeless to light will be helpful for those who need to know.

Remember, it's not a sin to have a home to live in. I do believe the sin comes in when we never help those without the blessings we've been given financially or materially. The extent to which you give is between you and God.

So...what's your favorite house style? Colleen asked recently, what kind of decor? I think I favor many of those houses at Catalina--ocean style, with the feel of sand and scent of salt in the air just because of the pale and calming colors used to paint. I could use all the help I can get, since I'm not a decorator. Any hints?


Herman Melville once said: "Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity, nothing exceeds the criticisms made of the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed and well-fed." Let's not look down our noses at those who don't have our blessings, but be grateful for what God has given us.

Labels: , , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 1:24 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 10:02 AM, Blogger jel said...

hope ya can find what ya are looking for!

take care!

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Tracy Ruckman said...

Cheryl, I don't know you but I love your heart. May God provide you the perfect place.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks, jel. I do too. It would be nice to be able to sit through church again.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Tracy, what a beautiful thing to say. Thank you so much.

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Cheryl, from one spine-injured person to another: do your best to avoid homes with stairs! You are not going to get any younger, though with water therapy, you should get healthier. However, age has a way of creeping up on us and stairs will quickly become a major problem. I found that when I moved to a home without stairs, I could spend more of my energies in walking properly. Now I am in a wheelchair about 3/4 of the day and always when I go out, even to church. But I still am able to walk a bit and I cherish that. Hope and pray you can find what you want as well as what you need.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thank you for that, Ruthie. My injury lets me walk about as much as I want--I walked for 40 minutes yesterday, and pushed a lawn mower the day before--but I cannot sit through a church service, and on long driving trips I have to lie down and let Mel do the driving. I'm really hoping this therapy pool can help. Blessings to you as you seek health. So glad you now have a non-climbing house!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz