Girls Write Out
Tuesday, August 07, 2012



We've got a new porch and landscaping on our old house. When I've seen pictures of the "before" house, I always thought it was nice enough. A big old house with character has always appealed to me. But the "after" pics are amazing, and seeing them side-by-side makes it clear which one has the best curb appeal, don't you think? That white railing just pops, and the new landscaping is super nice. I even have a Japanese maple!
The outside work made me think of covers for our books, the "curb appeal" of the novel, if you will. The cover is hugely important. Not just the visual images on it, but the spine, the back cover, and even the title. Often all that's seen of the book is the spine so the title is a huge deal. More and more we authors understand just how important the title is. And I stink at titles so this is a big handicap for me. :( Luckily, my team at Nelson is great at titles, but I wish I had a better method for picking them. I generally make a list of words that have something to do with the book. Right now I'm trying to figure out the title for a Rock Harbor novella. It has to impart a hint of mystery and setting. I'm rather stumped but I haven't had the brain power to sit down with my lists. I'm going to do that this week though.
How do you come up with titles? Some people pull known phrases and twist them. Some take Bible verses and play with them. What works for you?
Colleen Coble  
posted at 4:45 PM  
  Comments (3)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
3 Comments:
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Peggy Blann Phifer said...

Oh, Colleen! That reminds me so much of my grandma's house in Elmira, New York when I was a little girl during the 1940's. Only make it a mirror image, and add a third story with a full-length sun deck at the back. My favorite place to read! Oh, my, what memories this jogged loose!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Krista Phillips said...

I'm with you, Colleen! I STINK at titles! I usually come up with a super generic "working" title so I have something to refer to it as, then hope some spark of brilliance hits me while I write.

My first book I wrote, my working title was, 'Out of the blue' because I was really hoping the title would hit me... yes, you guessed it, out of the blue;-)

My debut book, I titled A Sandwich Romance because I originally planned it for the Love Finds You line (in Sandwich, IL...) and came up with that on the fly when pitching it to other publishers. A different publisher picked it up and changed the title to Sandwich, with a Side of Romance. A little more creative:-)

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger StockCaller said...

Such a wonderful blog, I enjoy it very much.By far one of the better blogs I have visited thus far. I will be sure to be back and recommend it to my friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz