Girls Write Out
Monday, December 05, 2005

And people think a writer’s life is glamorous, why?

On Saturday my husband and I drive two hours to a bookstore in another town for a book signing. We stop at a quaint restaurant, but it’s too busy and we don’t have the time. So with a growling stomach, I make my way to the little bookstore in a building filled with lots of festive shops. The air is electric (and cold). My spirits are high.

The people at the bookstore are very kind. They give me a table to set up out in the hallway where lots of shoppers pass from one store to another. We cover the table with a pretty cloth, stack on the books and colorful candy bowl for chocolate treats.

Women pass, pointing and laughing at the title of my book (Hot Flashes & Cold Cream). An hour goes by. No sales. The woman at the bookstore comes out with two books for me to sign for her (I think she feels sorry for me). People come and go, all the while smiling, pointing, laughing.

A man comes and asks me to move across the hall so some musicians can take my spot. I move and settle in to enjoy the mountain dulcimer music across from me.

Another sale. Life is good. The clock ticks. My smile stays in place. More ticking. Lots more ticking. Finally, another sale. More ticking. My stomach howls. A man asks me why everyone is ignoring me. Smile waning here. More people than I can count ask me where the bathroom is. Another sale. Tick, tick, tick. I consider pulling off my watch and throwing it away, but it’s powder blue with white polka dots just like my book cover, so I can’t part with it.

My husband checks in from time-to-time. Brings me a drink (non-alcoholic). Though if I were a drinker . . . Okay, I’m kidding, but let me just say at one point I consider smearing on cold cream just to get someone’s attention.

All in all, I sell seven books and pass out more promotional fans and bookmarks than I can count.

Still, the day is good. Glamorous? No. Good? Yes.
Diann Hunt  
posted at 11:50 AM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Diann,

In heaven, you sold a hundred for every one. ;)

At least you were out there, trying and getting your name out there. Better than sitting at home.

Love, R

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

You win, Kristin!

You all feel my pain. I can tell you are writers! LOL

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Diann I have two books right now that I'm saving for our next get together to have you sign. So see, all the quality fans already have your book. =)

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

You are merciful, Sabrina. Thank you. ;-)

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

At least you went.....LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz