Girls Write Out
Wednesday, December 14, 2005


You'd think someone who uses a computer for a living might actually be on friendly terms with her instrument. And usually I am. If the computer's working right, hey, me and my friend are like that. (Imagine two fingers twisted together here.)

But just let things go wrong or bring in a little (ACK!) change, and just watch the relationship disentigrate. I'm the sort who dreads moving because I'll have to re-hook up my computer and pray I can get all the plugs in the right slots. Thank God they've begun making programs easier to install. I can now do that on my own! But normally, when anything needs fixing or changing, I end up on the phone with a foreign tech support who speaks computerese in a heavy accent. Like I need an additional hurdle. And God love 'em, they're always so patient when instructing me, even when I'm sure pulling my teeth out through my nose might be less painful.

I've noticed the computer experts calling themselves geeks (or geek squad, etc.) these days. But I've come to think of these geeks quite affectionately. It's hard not to when they rescue a manuscript that has disappeared into computer space or managed to get you back online where all your friends are waiting for you. (Oh, what a sad life I lead.)

More than once, I've wished I could download. No, not a program into a computer, but all the knowlege of one tech support into my non-tech brain. But I'm pretty sure, even if I could download all that knowlege into my head, I'd get an error box. And then then I'd have to call tech support, and we all know how I feel about that.

Anonymous  
posted at 8:59 AM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I feel your pain, Denise. My eyes glaze over everytime I have to do something on the computer other than straight typing.

It sure is good that we have Colleen around to help us. Well, okay, my husband is pretty good at it too. I can't understand a thing those computer geeks tell me.

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

I'd like to download html-knowledge into my brain. I think it would be nice to actually do something cool to my website.

For now, I've got Heather T. helping me out. Lovely girl.

Camy

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Heather Diane Tipton said...

Oh I feel your pain, Denise.

LOL Lovely girl, Camy? So sad, someone compliments me and I come out of hiding to comment.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can SO relate Denise. I'm still trying to figure out how to set up my networking! UGH. And bless Colleen's heart, I know she's sick of giving me suggestions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz