Girls Write Out
Tuesday, December 06, 2005

For a happier post, I'm visiting with Marilynn Griffiths, author of the great new chick lit novel, "Made of Honor" published by Steeple Hill Cafe. It's hilarious and fun, and deep at times. I do hope you'll get it soon. Here are some questions, I asked her for fun!

1. This book, "Made of Honor" is such a gem! I read it in one sitting, and while I laughed out loud, I was more surprised by some of Dana's profound views of "life on the outside". Tell me, how does a wife and mother of seven know what it's like to be a continuous maid of honor?

I have no clue. I have a vivid imagination to be sure, but I also have a lot of single friends and big family where someone was always getting married. I was engaged several times... (blush, cringe) and I have a thing for weddings so that may be part of it.

2. What's the ugliest bridesmaid dress you ever wore?

I was a junior bridesmaid for my mother's 2nd wedding, but that's the only one I actually remember whose wedding it was. :X The rest is a pastel blur. I do remember a particularly bright peach that made me feel like a walking fruit, but I can't remember for the life of me whose wedding it was.

2b. Looking back, was yours ugly too?

I didn't have any bridesmaid's dresses! Believe it or not, I got married in a bank parking lot. My husband surprised me. We were engaged and he realized that I was the kind you had to take by surprise so he did. I thought he was kidding at first, then I freaked out. My best friend say us and pulled over. I guess she's the closest thing to a bridesmaid I had.

3. The humor in "Made of Honor" reminds me of "Pride and Prejudice", it's so intelligent and subtle. Tell me how you developed your sense of humor. Was there a relative? Life circumstances?

Jane Austen? I'm going to pretend you didn't put she and I in the same sentence and try and answer your question. I come from a very funny family. I thought everyone was funny though, so when I kept getting comments about my humor in my rejections, I was confused. My mother, brother and I together is pretty much a sit com. Add in the extended family and well, it's a crackup. Beneath the laughs though, there are tragedies and pain. I learned early in life to laugh at myself.

4. What I especially loved about the book is how girlfriends can be so abusive to one another and yet still walk out the other side as friends. What's something you and your friends have survived.

Oh man. So much. Me having a zillion kids without consulting anyone. People moving away. Life just happening. This year, a close friend moved away and I missed some important news and her new house and all sorts of good stuff. But I think about her all the time and talk about her. She's always with me.

How can readers check out more about the book and/or reach you.

I'd love to have the Girl's WriteOut crew come over to MarilynnGriffith.com and read an excerpt, check out my blog or just say hi. Come on over!

Thanks for being a guest on GirlsWriteOut. People, RUN to get this book, if the darling pink cover doesn't grab you, the first line will!

Thanks Kristin, you're too kind. The same can be said for all of your fun books. Thanks for having me.
Anonymous  
posted at 12:05 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 4:27 AM, Blogger upwords said...

Thanks for doing this Kristin. It was fun! I'll be back to visit soon. This is a great blog.

Blessings,
Marilynn Griffith

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll have to read that book :)

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is amazon lying to us or is this book really not out till the first of the year?

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Whoo hoo, Marilynn!

Rachel

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe Marilynn Should write a book of her getting married in the bank parking lot :) I Think that make a really good book.
I have to look up her books Thank you Kristin for doing this.
Love Anna

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Marilny, I'm getting tired just following you. You've got stamina!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz