Girls Write Out
Monday, December 05, 2005

The writer's life is filled with despair. I don't know why that is, but I really don't know many writers who aren't dealing with something that is so sucky in nature, I can't think of a better term. A lot of the depth of emotion must come from somewhere I suppose.

The thing I noticed is that everyone's life from the outside appears to be something it's not. Why do Christians perpetuate that myth? Yes, we have eternal life, yes, we have hope and Someone to bear our cross. But we also have hard lives. We have horrible diseases in loved ones like cancer and Alzheimers, people we love who wrestle addictions, abusive marriages.

I hope if I do one thing in life, I help my fellow Christians tell the truth. A long time ago, a friend of mine came to me to confide she wanted a divorce. I bought the party line, and gave her such horrible support lines that she would choose divorce for her kids, blah blah blah. I never had mercy on my friend, nor her husband. When I found out the truth of what was going on in their marriage, I was humbled to my core -- I also gave up marriage counseling for those of you interested in my services. : )

But I learned that though a line of Scripture can be like pure gold. It can also be like a knife through the heart of someone hurting. The truth is, we don't know everything. The Bible does not entitle us to be all-seeing and all-knowing, that's God's job. So I hope, friends, that when you hear a friend suffering, you are there to be a shoulder to cry on -- and if you are a writer, think about how someday God has used that very moment so that you might carry His word out to another. Kristin
Anonymous  
posted at 11:53 PM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 4:26 AM, Blogger upwords said...

Kristin,

This is a good word. Thanks for sharing it. It's easy to forget that we don't have all the answers. But God does. :)


Blessings,
Marilynn

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

So true, Kristin. We writers have an awesome responsibility. And what a joy when God uses us to help another along the journey!

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Isn't that the power of fiction, too? Creating characters where we can communicate God's truth. Even if just a little bit.

Great post, Kristin.

Rachel

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very True Kristin.
Tahnk you. Anna

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So true, Kristin. I've learned to NOT jump in with advice, but only with love and compassion. Took ME a LONG time to figure that out, but just listening and loving seem to be all I'm called to do! Thanks for sharing your insight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz