Girls Write Out
Monday, October 08, 2007



Creativity...

I cannot go through a day without exercising some form of creativity. I have absolutely no musical talent, so that's not a part of it -- but since I finished my last book, I have taken to home improvement.

I have an old house, and I can't tell you how creative I got in fixing it up. Are you ready? One, we had a terrible ant problem, and professional spraying did not work because they couldn't get under the house/deck. My husband said, "I don't think you have to pay an ant guy. I think the ants will come for free." LOL Sooo...I found out where the ants were coming in, and I got a caulking gun and sealed the hole. It's been a week, not an ant in sight! Yay ingenuity!

It's dark now, so we needed curtains because our family, in all its glory, was lit up like a Christmas tree. And we're poor. So I bought curtains at JCPenney and I hemmed them with fusing tape. I also figured out the power drill and put up the rods. Are you impressed yet? Okay, here's the biggie that I'm so proud of. In our custom house, all the walls had imperfect smooth (old world) texture. This place had orange peel, which drove me crazy! Plus, the idiot painters used glossy paint everywhere -- so not only was there orange peel texture, it was shiny and obvious in every room of the house. Couldn't deal, so I went to Orchard Supply this weekend, and I figured out how to retexture my own bedroom wall.

So I'm telling you with all this creativity stirring within and a pretty rundown house, I am getting very excited about some time off! Next up: Kristin learns to use a miter saw and adds base boards and crown molding. Trust me, it's more exciting than it sounds. : )

Two of the pictures are the kitchen before, and the wild colored ones are my new kitchen and fused curtains and drilled rods. : ) Oh I also put up my own shelves in the closet. Aren't you all impressed? No? Well, you should be.
Kristin  
posted at 10:12 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

To: Mrs. Fix it,
We need to get you a pink tool belt Girl! With K.B.On it!
I'm very impressed.
Your much like my self now.
It's very additive when you start fixing things.
LOL

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Beautiful kitchen, Kristen. Congrats on all your handiwork! You sound like a pro. Great post.

If your ants come back, try the following. I've lived in a gillion parsonages, complete with ants, roaches, and rats, so I have experience. LOL. This is what I found when I paid pro exterminators: buy a large box of ant bait at the grocery store. The individual baits look like roach motels only they're smaller. Put them everywhere you see ant activity. Find their paths. This is important. Countertops. Cabinets. Walls (they have stick-um stuff on the back). Different rooms. Everywhere. Then, force yourself to live with these ugly things in place for awhile. Then, in a week or two, throw them out and replace with new baits. Ants are picky; they only eat FRESH bait. Keep doing this until you don't see ants anymore.

Hope this works for you. I paid big $$$ to learn this from a pro and then started doing it myself.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

STAY AWAY FROM THE MITRE SAW!!!!

COLLEEN, SHUDDERING AT THE THOUGHT.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Sally said...

So, it's a little humorous to me that the NON-engineer in the house was the one to figure out how to stop the ants. But, then again, being an engineer myself, I understand that the engineer doesn't always think of the practical solutions! =)

Watch out for the ant poison if you have pets.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Kristy I tried all of the different brands of ant baits, they didn't work in our house. Lucky us. We have special, SMART ants. LOL

Sally, I say this loving many engineers. Most of them have no common sense. LOL

Anna Marie, I like how you think. And Colleen?? PPPPPHHHHTTTT!!!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I absolutely AM impressed, Kristin! :o) I LOVE to do home improvement projects. I can actually wallpaper so you can't see any seams!

A mitre saw? Wow - that does sound like fun. It's times like this I wish I was still young in body. The mind and heart are still 31, but when I start a project like yours, my body now reminds me that ... well, it's a few decades older. Sigh.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Who are you...and what did you do with my best friend?

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I always wondered what it would be to bring Beth out. Now I know. Okay, in my defense, I then soaked in the tub, and wrapped in my lavender blanket, watching "Pretty in Pink". Does that sound more like me?

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

After being ripped off by a few contractors, I'm learning to do things myself. It's empowering! The Lowe's guy is my new BFF.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Georgiana Daniels said...

That's really cool! You know what else would be cool? If you made a YouTube video so we could watch and learn, since some of us are not so handy =)

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so proud, Kris! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz