Girls Write Out
Thursday, October 11, 2007


NEW ADDITION TO THE FAMILY
I love to learn something new. When Kara got Parker, I hadn't been around any Goldens but we all quickly fell in love with him. And a newfie? Um no. They get BIG! You ever seen a full grown newfoundland? So when Dave and Donna told me they were thinking about getting a newfie puppy, I thought oh no, no. It will eat you out of house and home. But like a good mother, I kept my mouth shut on that. It is the kids' choice not mine. Like my aunt Edith says, I'm not on that committee. Still, I breathed a sigh of relief when it seemed they weren't going to get the puppy.

Then the kids brought Jake in to meet grandma. Ever hear of love at first sight? Oh my goodness, you guys, he is the sweetest little guy! I was holding him up for this picture for several minutes and he was like a rag dolls. Didn't struggle to get away, Didn't whine. So laid back and easy going. When he's tired of walking, he just flops down and removes to go. LOL He kept trying to get IN his water dish (he's a water dog) and had water all over the floor which was so cute because he kept wanting to lay down in it. LOL And because he loves anything wet, he plopped down in green paint two days after they got him as you can see by the picture with our son. Green looks good on him!

Meeting Jake reminded me of the time I met our daughter's dog Harley. He was the inspiration for Samson in the Rock Harbor books. I'd heard Kara's husband had brought her home a puppy. I said, "Oh honey, you live in apartment and you're gone all day to work. You shouldn't get a puppy. (I hadn't learn to keep my mouth shut yet.) But I went over to see this little dog and Harley came crawling out from under the sofa. He was this tiny thing with a little tail curled over his back. Darling! I was smitten at first sight.

I'm guessing the first time I hold a real grandbaby, the sensation will be much magnified. LOL I think the kids got the puppy just to give me practice for the day they announce we've got a little one coming!

But isn't he darling? Anyone have any experience with newfies?
Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:32 AM  
  Comments (12)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
12 Comments:
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Kay Day said...

Well, I saw a Newf pulling a man's arm off at the lake the other day. Not with his teeth, with his leash. I would recommend training while still manageable.
I love everything I've read about them, though, and I would love to have one someday.
One day while getting into my car in a parking lot something weird touched my elbow. When I turned around there was a HUGE black head right there, 10 inches from my face. Startling. But very funny.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

He's very, very cute.

We just stayed with in a cottage on St. Helena Island and the landlord had 5 dogs! Five. So fun!

You'll be a wonderful Grandma!!

Rachel

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Cute dog, esp. with the green paint!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Lauri said...

I can only share my Mom's comments. She frequently has friends cancel plans at the last minute because their grandchildren need to be babysat. She likes that the Siberian granddog can be left in the yard if she's babysitting.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Too cute, esp in green!

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Cara Putman said...

What a darling puppy! He's going to be BIG!!! My parents call our dog their grandpuppy. Kind of fun!

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

LOL Kay! I think they'd better train him well.

Glad you all think he's cute!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

Awww, he's precious...green paint and all.

My mother holds to the same committee advice you use, C. She says the best way to keep the peace is to keep her mouth shut.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Does she do a good job of it, Lisa? LOL Gosh, it can get hard!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Travis Erwin said...

I have heard nothing but good about Newfoundlands. I'd love to have one but I'm afraid the poor thing would melt in the heat here in Texas.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Deena Peterson said...

Nope, but I hear grandbabies come with less fur/hair and have MUCH sweeter breath!!! LOL!!

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Adorable pup. Hope they have a big house!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz