Girls Write Out
Friday, November 12, 2010
The way I'm tempted by candy and chips and rice crispy treats, I NEED this towel over my head to avoid all the stuff these fancy hotels place in our rooms. Mel is in conference today, and I'm trying to write in our room, but the hotel where we're staying has set out Evian water (spelled backwards? Naive) at $5.00 a bottle. And not a big bottle, a little bottle. And cookies and treats and chips are outrageously expensive, but they're placed in this tray that is electronically connected so that if you even MOVE something on the tray? You get charged for it on your room bill. What would happen if I lost my balance and fell into the thing? I walked down the street and bought my own, cheaper, bottles of water and gluten-free breads and cheeses for snacks that are much better for us. Oh, my goodness, the Farmer's Market here in San Francisco has fresh figs and persimmons. We had them for dinner last night. Love those fruits that we never get in Missouri.

Okay, back to the griping. The Bible tells us not to tempt others to sin--since I don't have mine with me right now, and my walking concordance is in class, I can't come up with book, chapter or verse that says this, so if someone else can give me the passage, I'll gladly take it and place it on the dresser when we leave. We have a refrigerator in our room, but we aren't allowed to use it, because it stores all the alcohol and sodas at outrageous prices.

And you know what's worse? There's a little sign in front of that tray of tempting food on our dresser that says our own personal items (foods, waters, etc.) will be removed daily. So I am leaving the Do Not Disturb sign out all the time we're here. I did that the first day at the last hotel--Mel's doing two back-to-back conferences--and security came to the door that evening to see if we were okay. Oh, brother. Yes, I know housekeeping depends on my tips, but do not kick me out of the room while I'm trying to work so you can clear away my nutritious food. It was the warning that they would remove my personal food items that really set me off.

Now, for the fun part, as Kris already said, we got to spend the day together Wednesday! Such fun. I enjoy Kris so much. I had emailed a young friend of mine about getting to see Kristin Billerbeck, and she wrote back, "I love her books! She's so funny." Yes, she is. Kris can make me laugh even if she, herself, is depressed. It takes a real talent for that kind of humor. It's why she's so much fun to be with.

So, my gripe session is over and I have ended on a happy note--seeing one of my GWO friends is always a happy note. It's time to go back up to the room and get to work. I have deadlines to meet. If anyone can share that passage about tempting others, I'd appreciate it.


Labels: ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 1:47 PM  
  Comments (22)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
22 Comments:
At 3:45 PM, Blogger jel said...

is this what ya are talking about
( There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able : but will with temptation also make a way to escape, that ya may be able to bear it.) 1Cor 10~13

we got persimmons in Mo.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Well, that's one that will help me late at night when the temptation is strongest, but I mean the one that warns us not to tempt others. LOL
Yes, jel, the persimmons are ripe in Missouri now, but they're tiny and filled with seeds. These are huge, like apples, and they don't have a lot of seeds. Wonderful! And I'm a FFF. Fresh fig freak! I need to get some plums here, too. In Missouri, they're always tart, but here, you get them ripe and they're sweet.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I am tempted not by food, but by leaving it all behind and finding myself a nice little studio overlooking the bay. LOL

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger jel said...

I send some of them persimmons
(on steriods) in the store the other day :)

there are 8 diff,passage in the bible , in the concordance from my bible.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yes, Kris, if you can afford the view of the bay. Ugh. This place is expensive, and you can just drive to the bay and enjoy it whenever you have time.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Oh, good, jel, then I do have proof to back me up. Oh, and I reread the little note they left in the room. I think it meant they would remove anything I left in the refrigerator, not in the room. So I feel better about that. Maybe I'll even let them into the room tomorrow. LOL

I encourage you to try one of those persimmons in the store. Make sure they're kind of soft, but they won't make you pucker like the unripe Missouri persimmons do.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Well, I don't have the one you're looking for, but it's a good one: Luke 4:13 "When the devil had finished every temptation, he left Him until an opportune time." At least now you know who is leaving the goodies- ha!

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger jel said...

ya just got to know when to pick them, :)

oh and they make into good tasting bread!

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Matthew 18:6? I Corinthians 8:9ff? I Cor. 10:13?

Biblegateway.com is a good source when you need a Bible and don't have one handy. :)

Glad you had fun with Kristin. Yaay!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

PWe have persimmons here, Hannah. I don't know anyone but older Chinese folk around here that like them. My SIL had a persimmon tree and we cringed at all the persimmon makings we'd get. LOL

I had a pomogranate tree at my last house. Loved that. Now I just have lemons.

As for going outside, I'm kind of an indoor girl. LOL

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL, Sheila! So far I've been able to resist the temptation, so my Bible coverage has helped me be strong. Oh...but those chocolate chip cookies...and those M&Ms. And pistachios...

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks for that website, Pam. Now I have it so I can look it up when needed. You girls are great help. Thanks!

Oh, and jel, yes, I know how to test them to make sure they aren't puckery. The little persimmons are the only ones that are bad about that, though. The bigger ones aren't as hard to judge.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Kris, you don't like persimmons? We had a persimmon tree when I lived in So. CA, but never ate any. My grandmother did. LOL. Now I'm older, so I guess my tastes have changed. Yes, I first saw them in Chinatown the other day. I wish I could ship a whole case of them back home.

I used to get pomegranates at the store, but they're so hard to eat I finally gave up on them. It isn't fun anymore to work so hard for my food. Now...crab legs? Always! Can't wait to see you again!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger jel said...

Cheryl,
I like the new profile of u and M


has anyone hear from Diann, hope she is ok!

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks, jel. I think Diann is fine. We just had a great time with Kris at dinner, and a wonderful tour of San Francisco. She is so gracious, dropped us off right in front of our hotel. She's such a blessing.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger jel said...

glad to hear ya had a good time



had avery hard frost here,
21degrees, could ya bring back some warm weather, with ya !

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Okay, jel, we're back and the weather feels pretty good. And now that we've had the frost, the persimmons will be even riper. Yay!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger jel said...

thanks for bringing some warm weather back with ya! :)

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger jennydtipton said...

The scripture I believe you are looking for is Romans 14:20-21.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I've found the passage that works best with the problem I had last week in San Francisco. Matthew 18:6 "But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

But they're safe. I didn't give in to the expensive goodies. I found goodies elsewhere and they were less expensive--plus, I walked so much I burned the calories, so it wasn't a sin. Gluttony is, however, still a weakness of my flesh. Thanks for the help, friends!

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

Hi~
I am wondering if I haven't got the hang of the new FeedBlitz through my e-mail. I have responded to a few posts, but don't see any of them there.

Of course, it could have been at 2 in the morning and I just thought I posted them or after taking Ambien and I dreamed I posted them, lol.

Is there something I am missing or do I need to come to this site, GirlsWriteOut to have the comments show up?

Thanks, loving all of your posts on all subjects. Each of you are so distinctive in the way you write, but all still very much the same.

Make sense?

Thanks so much for all you authors do for us fans. Keep on writing and we will keep on praying for all of you~

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Cheri, I'm having the same problem. I've changed my email addy, but I'm still only getting our blogs on my old addy, and since I have to keep on top of things so I can reply when I've blogged, I am keeping my old email addy active until I can figure things out. Isn't the electronic age confusing? If anyone has an answer, I'd love to hear it. Colleen?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz