Girls Write Out
Friday, October 12, 2007

GOD GIVES US THE DESIRES OF OUR HEART
I love babies. I always have. I had an ovary rupture when I was 14 and the other ovary only haltingly gave me two children before giving up the ghost and having to be removed when I was 23. When my kids grew up, I looked forward to the thought of having grandchildren but it was beginning to look like I was only going to be grandma to cats and dogs. And that was okay, but oh, I wanted a grandchild!

Yesterday was Dave's birthday. Davy and Donna wanted to take us out to eat. We get there, and she's rushing us out the door because she's starving. We settle in at the table in the restaurant and she's getting ready to give Dave his present. My cell phone rings and I dig it out.

"Don't answer it!" she says with a panicked expression on her face. (I find out later she's afraid it's my mother who might spill the beans.)

"It's Diann, it might be important," I say. It is. She and I don't have to go to the oncologist today. I hang up and sit back down at the table.

"Here's your present, Pop," Donna says, sliding him a card with a Lowe's gift card. He's thrilled. He got one from our Baby Girl too and he is in hog heaven right now.

"And here's another one from the boys," she says, sliding over a gift bag.

Dave opens it and pulls out two baby bibs. Blue. One says something about Grandma and the other one says something about Grandpa. I look at the bibs. I look up at the kids. They are beaming from ear to ear. I look back at the bibs. I'm sure my mouth is dangling open like a fish. I'm speechless for a second and that's a rariety.

"You--you're pregnant?" I whisper. I"m afraid if I say it too loudly I'll wake up from this perfect dream.

The kids nod. I scream. "You're pregnant!!!" The other patrons in the restaurant turn to look. They're all smiing. I jump up still screaming and run around to hug the kids. I'm crying and continue to cry for some time. LOL

This is a dream come true. I'M GOING TO BE A GRANDMA!!!!
Colleen Coble  
posted at 8:49 AM  
  Comments (24)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
24 Comments:
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Oh my goodness, made me cry just reading about it!!! I'm SOOOOO HAPPY for you, Colleen!!!! I LOVE being a grandma!!! Now we can share 50 pound photo albums, bore everyone around us with our grandkid stories and have the time of our lives!!!

CONGRATULATIONS, GRANDMA!!!!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

That's awesome Colleen! Congrats!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations!

Made me cry too! Especially after yesterdays post!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

And after that last post, too! They got you GOOD!!! Congrats, Colleen!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

The kids thought sure I was suspicious after they read yesterday's post. LOL and I had NO clue!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Kay Day said...

Congratulations!!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

Congratulations, Colleen! You'll be a wonderful grandma.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Thanks friends!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Congratulations, Colleen. I'm turning cartwheels for you, cuz I know how wonderful grandkids are. Yippee for you and Dave.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

That's why I heard a scream!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

I'm crying reading it. I keep thinking of awards night when you got the call your daughter is engaged and now you have a grandbaby coming wow. A wedding and a baby all in the same few weeks. Um, not involving the same couples I should clarify :-)

Hugs to all!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Georgiana Daniels said...

Congratulations! Babies are so wonderful, and they smell so yummy (usually) and love to cuddle and snuggle, spit and burp, I mean cuddle and snuggle. Have fun with your grandbaby! Due date?

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I was sure crying last night, Pam! It's been hard to concentrate enough to write today. LOL In fact, I didn't.

And Kayla, that scream should have been audible in California. LOL

Georgiana, I love to smell a baby's head! My very favorite thing!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger celestemc said...

So that must have been what I heard here in Oregon! (wink) CONGRATULATIONS! God does give us the desires of our hearts, and I'm sure He's smiling on you right now. What a wonderful grandma you will be! Have you thought of what you will be called? (Grandma, Nana, Yaya, GG, etc...?)

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I need to figure that out, Celeste! I'm still floating! we're going to Babies R Us tomorrow. LOL

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

OOHH!!! I got goosebumps reading that!!! That is so cool. One more to spoil and love!! wheeeeeeeee :)

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Shauna said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

My dad's favorite saying is, "You own your kids, but your grandkids own you."

Prepare to be fully wrapped around a little pinky finger. ;-)

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Deena Peterson said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! What an incredible Grandma you'll be...so cool, so way cool, God!!

 
At 2:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so happy for you!
Your going to be a wonderful grandma!
Hug's!!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! Fur babies are wonderful but can't hold a candle to a real grandchild. Enjoy every moment.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Betsy St. Amant said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!! =)

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Thanks for all the congrats, you guys! I'm still just floating on air! I went to church today and was running up and down the halls shouting out the news! LOL

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Maggie Brendan said...

Awesome, Colleen. I have 4 grandchildren that I adore. There's nothing like being a grandparent! It's so much fun!!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Leanna Ellis said...

Congrats, Colleen!!! How fantastic!

Leanna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz