Girls Write Out
Wednesday, November 17, 2010





California gets a bad rap, because let's face it, we are one dysfunctional state. From our politics, which are like one of those breezy, artsy schools where homework is forbidden and most problems can be solved by a Playdough sculpture -- to the Hollywood starlets who seem to be allergic to underpants. But, we have Yosemite. And Disneyland...and San Francisco, which is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Recently, Cheryl (a California-born native) returned to our fair state with her husband, Mel for a doctors' conference. I was so glad Mel could spare her during the day and we got to see Alcatraz. Over the weekend, I got to see Mel too when I met them at Fisherman's Wharf and we feasted on Dungeness Crab and a gorgeous view of the Golden Gate Bridge. I think Cheryl would agree that California is pretty fantastic.

There are lots of Christian writers who call our fair state home: Camy Tang, John Olsen, Rick Acker, Sarah Sundin, Laura Jensen Walker and Francine Rivers, to name a few. So, while we're not the Bible belt, we have a lot to offer out West and I'm so glad Cheryl and Mel got to see some of that beauty in their tour. I love that being with my writer friends, we are never lost, we are only exploring. Sure, we may explore under the Golden Gate bridge a few times, but that doesn't diminish its beauty. We may finally reach The Palace of Fine Arts so that I can explain that it's the setting for one of my favorite movies, "So I Married an Axe Murderer" -- but my fellow writers don't care. It's RESEARCH! Even when one's evil GPS system sends them onto the Golden Gate bridge for the third time running (and thank goodness for that last exit, or it would have been $15 at least -- think it may be more than $5 now!)

But come to the Golden State. Ignore our funky excess of Smart Cars and Priuses and focus on the beauty that is California. Did I change your mind any?
Kristin  
posted at 2:41 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I definitely agree. I think for those who have never been to California all they know is the oceans, traffic jams, Hollywood and politics. However, there are the mountains and high deserts, highway roads with clean air and blue skies. I live in a place where Carhartts, hunting, SUV's and big trucks reign supreme. I love the diversity of our golden state.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger jel said...

it's not a bad place, I do have kinfolk there. ;)


I was so bummed out the very first time I was there, and I was going to get to see the "Golden" Gate bridge! and it wasn't "Golden" it was a light rusty color!

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristin, I lived in California for five years and I must say that I miss it. :-)

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

That was such a fun ride, Kris. Great research! I loved it, and though I didn't leave my heart there, I did leave some tears--I always hate leaving "home" again--and some skin after I fell. Thanks so much for sharing more of it with me!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Crystal Mazzuca said...

I'm a West Coast gal through and through! Though, I must admit, I'm slightly jealous of your classy side. Here in the Seattle area, we've glamorized dumpster diving and morphed protesting into a job description. But, hey, we make a pretty mean cup of coffee!

And you just can't beat that Cali sunshine...unless you are in San Fran, where that pesky fog likes to interfere...

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Catherine West said...

Kristin, my hubby and I took our first trip to California in September. It truly is beautiful. We spent all our time in Sonoma and Napa, and I'd go back tomorrow. On our last day we toured San Francisco and the beautiful Golden State Park. I'm not really a city girl, but it was fun to see Lombard Street and the cable cars! I'd love to see more of the coast next time.
P.S. I mentioned you in my blog today, remembering that very first critique group we were in together!

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Jennifer Mykytiuk said...

My husband proposed to me at the Palace of Fine Arts. I didn't know it was in the movie "So I Married as Axe Murder". I knew it was in the movie The Bachelor. I will have to rent that one now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz