Girls Write Out
Thursday, November 12, 2009
I'm so pumped! I get to spend next weekend at my annual class reunion pajama party. All girls, of course, and unfortunately not all the girls in the class, but at least five of us get together every year and spend a night or two either at a local resort, or one of our homes--when the hubby of the house is gone.

I realized years ago that I could write a novel about each of these girls. I did include some scenes from one of our pajama parties in Grave Risk, but that novel came out in 07, so you may not be able to get your hands on a copy. I'll introduce you to my friends:

Doris was our class valedictorian. She has a dry sense of humor, and one ladylike snort from her can have us all giggling for ten minutes. A farm girl born and raised, she drives home to Missouri from Dallas ten to twelve times a year to help her father out on the farm and reconnect with friends and family. I admire that kind of dedication. Unlike the way I portrayed her in the book, she can cook, she's never been divorced, and I don't think she's ever, EVER broken the law.

Tess is tall and gorgeous, looks at least fifteen years younger than she is, and she's sweet and fun enough that we don't even hate her for it. She does have some challenges--she got lost on the way to the resort two years ago, and we had to go find her in Branson and lead her in. This year we've threatened to take flares with us.

Deb designs her own clothing and jewelry and could have her own thriving business, but instead she has chosen to help raise her grandchildren. She knows what's important to her. She and her husband lived through a tornado strike a few years ago by scrambling beneath the dining room table. And she's never had a nervous breakdown. I would have long ago. I admire her deep faith in God.

Sherry is the driving force of our class. When she graduated and left town, she was sure she would never come home again--except to visit. She and her husband moved back to town several years ago. She is involved in the community, and she loves it. She keeps the rest of us in touch with each other, lets us know about funerals, illnesses or disasters among our class members.

Of course, I'm skimming the tops of these characters. I warned them I was going to blog about them, and I don't want to get into too much trouble, since they're going to have to take care of me after my shoulder surgery next Tuesday. Gotta stay on their good sides. Needless to say, of course, my former classmates could each be a main character in a novel--and someday, they just might be.

How about you? Any characters in your graduating class? Anyone who went on to become a scientist, politician, terrorist? What memorable people did you attend school with?
Hannah Alexander  
posted at 9:29 PM  
  Comments (14)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
14 Comments:
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post. I loved reading descriptions of your friends. I have found Facebook to be such a blessing in that I have been able to reconnect with almost all 15 members of my high school graduating class (yep, I said 15). It is so fun to share stories as so many of us have taken such different paths and are in different stages of our lives. We have moms of college students, moms with little babies, and one who's expecting her first (twins) at the age of 39. Company presidents, business owners, home-schoolers -- and that's just among the women. And best of all - my best friend since the age of 14 whom I still giggle with on the phone several times a week and see several times a year!

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I love having longtime friends because of the history. It's easier to trust, because you've known them for so long.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Edna said...

About all my so called friends always seems to use me, they get me to say something and then it gets all our of proportion, and then I am the one in touble. I stay to myself most of the time, my daughter and husband are my best friends. They believe in me.

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Ouch! That's rough, Edna. I've had that experience in the past--though not, of course, with most of my friends. This is why I like long-time friends who have proven themselves over the years.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

Cheryl,
What fun you must have all together. I have 2 friends from high school I try to stay in touch with, but we rarely get to see each other. The last time was at our 40th (yes, lol), reunion. My best friend of over 25 years, used to live next door to me in Chicago and our children spent many years playing and growing together. She now lives in Ky and I am in Tx.

My friend since junior high, Caryn, retired from being an airline attendant and now lives on some acreage and raises sheep so her border collies have something to do!

My daughter just went to south of Springfield (she and the rest of my family live outside KC, MO) with 4 of her closest friends. They go every year for 3 days of just doing nothing and watching movies. I envy her!! Edna, she is also a friend and I miss her so much.

Most of my friends have spent their years as moms and grandmas as well as working. One, has a son & wife who are expecting triplets, a miracle but could use your prayers.

She is 26 weeks and the doctors don't think she will go further than 29 weeks. We are standing on God's promises that she will make it to at least 30 weeks. The son was a twin so my friend is really excited to welcome these 3 little boys (yes, my three sons), into the family.

I am sorry to hear you are going to have surgery. The worst part is the physical therapy, or what I call physical torture, lol.

You ask the best questions and pull out of us some of the best memories and experiences. Thanks!!

Cheri

"Father, I ask that you keep Cheryl under Your wings as she has her surgery next Tuesday. Let it go easily and I ask that you bless her healing that it will be quick and sure. In Jesus Name, Amen"

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks for the prayer, Cheri. I'm still trying not to talk myself out of the surgery. I need this surgery...
Praying for your friend. What a stressful time this is for everyone concerned. May those babies be whole and healthy and most of all happy.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

Cheryl,
I know you are dreading tomorrow and your surgery and just wanted to stop in and encourage you tonight.

"Father, I lift up Cheryl as she faces her shoulder surgery. Give her peace tonight as waits to go tomorrow but let her know you have Your arms tight around her. Take away her fears of the pain and the recovery time and let her feel the 'prayers of Your people'. In Jesus Name, Amen".

I will be praying tomorrow for you and also through your recovery. You will feel so much better when this is over!
Cheri

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks so much for that, Cheri. I do appreciate it, and I'm dreading it. I hate being put under, but they won't do a conscious sedation for this. Thank you.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger jel said...

Morning,
hope your surgery went well! :)

that was fun reading about ya and your friends, will have to go back and reread "Grave Risk"

take care

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks! The surgery went well. It hurts today (duh) but I am running a fever, so that means mt body is up to the job of fighting infection.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

Hi!

So glad you are in the 'after' part instead of the 'dreading' part of the surgery. Give yourself time to heal and know it will take a few weeks to get back to normal.

I know your husband is taking great care of you and watching that fever! I will continue to pray your recovery will not be too painful. Did they give you a machine to hook up to for several hours a day? Passive resistance, I guess, as it moves your arm without you doing anything -- the kind of exercise I like!

Cheri

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks, Cheri. I have a bad tendency to overdo. I didn't get any machine except the chiller. My exercises consist of taking my arm fom the splint and letting it hang three times a day.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger jel said...

Cheryl,
glad to here all went well! :)

oh and glad to see ya bloging now


janice

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks, Janice. Glad to "see" you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz